Monday, 6 May 2013

Layer Player

Squeezing in a couple of quick posts this week - I must shush so I can clear my photo backlog and get on with a few projects that people are waiting on (hate to be the roadblock, sorry!!!). These pics were from a colder and darker and rainier era a couple of weeks back. 




Unlike last post's simple casual look, there is quite a lot going on in this outfit, which potentially represents the pinnacle of my functional layering achievements. Though I still wouldn't call it "bondage," I was serious about my scarf habit and my workplace's temperature variability: we put on and take off our clothes all day long. (Hi there, naughty-search-term peeps! That is not what I mean!) 


scarf: Becky's (South Padre Island, TX), worn here for farewell-my-dear-hen twirling
black / red / multi patchwork cardigan: Myco Anna, gift from Beary ~7 years ago
olive snakeskin-texture belt: Charming Charlie
khaki dress: Fat Beauty, thrifted, worn here
sheer-layered black skirt: Nygard collection, thrifted, worn here
shorty paisley / floral patterned rubber cowboy rain boots: Corky's, worn here




The thing is that all of the layers have to be functional - there's no hiding anything ill-fitting or that can't also be worn on its own, because one must constantly de-layer and re-layer. With this combination I could further strip down to my black tank top and skirt, and because the tights are footless, switch socks and boots for a pair of flip-flops. Which, I know, flip-flops - but they can fit in my giant purse along with my daytimer.




In the other temperature direction, I had on this ruffly trench coat as outerwear, but might also include this olive-green wool cape on its own or on top of the whole thing - including over my head if necessary which it sometimes is, especially on fresh-haircut days. (Aw, man - that last link was my first-ever-goodbye-hen post. But it also has Beary looking adorable in a suit, so go see anyway.) 




How many outfits-in-one is that? I was also happy about the triple-threat pattern-mix. I'm joining up with the multitudes for Visible Monday at Patti's Not Dead Yet Style, and wishing everyone temperate comfort, seeing as how it can't always be joy. Joy, though - yes please - whenever, wherever we can.

P.S. EDITED to add: also making an appearance at the Shoe Shine party hosted by Bella of The Citizen Rosebud. Shoes! And boots. :)

P.P.S. Flashing forward to the future for Anne's 52 Pick-me-up: Get Layered linkapalooza at Spy Girl.



25 comments:

  1. Perfection. Also, I'm very happy to see you. I miss you when I don't see you regularly, but I've been terrible about visiting. I'm working on it though. Anywho, enough about me. You look wonderful. And I couldn't agree more about layers needing to stand on their own. I have to do the same to combat the temperature/weather of the ride in vs. the temperature of the office. Oops. I just talked about myself again, didn't I? I am the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every layer looks like a whole new outfit. I love how you do that! I was just researching Corkys Footwear. Those rainboots in particular get me every time. Great title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so amazing at layering, Amber! I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All hail the layer. You do it so beautifully, Amber! l enjoyed the links to earlier posts, too. I could hang about for ages. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all the different layers especially the one with your sweater. That's a great sweater and your boots are a delight for the eyes!

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see you on my blog roll! I am loving your "Onion" look - every layer peels away to reveal another great ensemble. I have a couple of Myco Anna sweaters that I purchased on sale - I love the patchwork knit and pretty colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous layering - the colors are singing to me and making everything happy. And the boots, well, they are a joy unto themselves. Thanks for sharing with Vis Monday xoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore those boots everytime you wear them!!
    I love your layered look!! I get "hot" for no reason at times and then my office is freezing at times so I'm all about the layers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow the boots are really pretty!

    XO arezu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I do think a strip tease is in order here. Inquiring minds would like to get the full impact of the multi-layered player, if you don't mind. So far, so good, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Art. These layers make art. You look really finished ... in the sense of considered then plan-executed. I miss scarves so much in the summer ... way too hot to sweat all over my pretties down here.
    Looking like you health is much improved as well, Amber.
    Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those. Boots. I expect to see them on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a post-menopausal woman, I remember the days of layering for survival!! You could do seminars for all the women out there who need to know how to do it with flair and panache!! I particularly love the amazing patchwork cardigan from your sweetheart. LOVE YOU!!!!!

    P.S. You and Beary looked fab at the wedding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the zippy cardigan! I'm so jealous of your layering skills. Mine are still weak because of how warm my climate is. Of course, I can't get over that incredible dress. The cut is perfect for layering.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving those layers, that dash of red and of course those fabulous BOOTS! Don't work too hard, and hope you're feeling fully recuperated now my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, Shelley beat me to the onion metaphor! It's definitely a real skill, putting together lots of layers without sacrificing style and shape. You have the knack, Amber! The cardigan, with its double zip action and ring pull, is fabulous (and Beary bought it for you, he's a love!) and the dress is always a favourite. Beautiful scarf. Astonishing boots. Footless tights and flip flops in your bag? Genius!
    Yeah, let's get those search terms all frisky - stripping off at work, woo hoo! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The rubberboot-queen has delivered!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful layering and the best boots in the WORLD, ahhhhhhhhhh
    Much love, dear Amber.
    XXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  19. great layering technique you've got there. Something I must master myself.
    I love the black skirt peeping out from under the khaki dress. lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How have I been missing you? Maybe i've lost my mind? probably it.... You are awesome!!! You inspire me :)
    hugs aplenty,
    Reva :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a big fan of wild cowgirl boots :) And, I am loving that dress with the black skirt underneath!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Layering, scarves, belts, footwear! You have it all down! Oh, and I forgot jewelry, the perfect poses and writing that has me in awe. That's a lot of talent in one amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm awed by your layers and your beauty :) I'm thinkin' if I wear an outfit like this, I won't have to pack any other clothes when I go out of town! I hate packing and prefer my carry-on to weigh less than a pound. Right.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those boots are so fun! And you're an artiste when it comes to layering.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hahaha -- "flashing forward" This is awesome layering. Love the color combo. And THOSE BOOTIES!
    Thanks for linking up with 52 Pick-me-up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber