Wednesday, 24 October 2012

These Old Things

Good morning everybody! This week will feature a few outfits chosen via the question, "What can I tolerate to wear for 11+ hours of meetings, driving around, sessions, and hauling stuff, that is temperature-adjustable and washable (or mostly so)?" Similar to travel-wear needs, I'm balancing the demands of the day with resistance to that grotty schleppy feeling, you know the one. 


sunglasses: Ray Ban, last worn here
peacock scarf: street vendor, Progreso, Mexico, a gift from my mother,  last worn here
bag: Kenneth Cole Reaction, also worn here
sweater: Shana K, Becky's (South Padre Island, TX), worn here
striped tank top: Joe Fresh
khaki skirt: Sarah Spencer, Winners (2002 or older)
shorty cowboy boots: Premiere Collection Rudy2, WalM*rt (men's, clearance, $15)




I was so lucky to get home a couple of hours earlier than expected on this day of brilliant fall sunshine - I didn't even mind so much that it was due to a no-show. It being my last commitment of the day, having time to sit still in the warmth while waiting, the minimal resulting documentation, plus getting home in time for naturally-lit, non-rushed and easy photos helped offset the internal grumbling about better uses of my time and mileage - though I am incredibly privileged that both of the latter are covered anyway. As many others have noted, the shortening days are fast closing our window of low-effort photography lighting.




This skirt is an old, oft-worn favourite, and I love everything about it, from its elastic-cord drawstring with silver dingle-dangles (awesome to fiddle with), grommet-vents at the knees, its all-season wearability and washer-dryer-ness, to its sail-like flapping sound. It has a similar magic and travel-happiness to my red shoes, but I am sad that it is finally showing signs of wear - fading and seam-puckering. Now I try and save it for when I really, really need it. 



leather & silver teardrops necklace: Gabii (TX, near border to Progreso)




My ratty boots are another of those items which just work so well that I end up wearing them into the ground for years. Inexpensive, low-heeled, entirely comfortable, sufficiently stylin' to finish off many an outfit - and particularly, zero concerns about weather-and-wear-damage means that you'll be seeing them a lot starting now, including in my next post. Also as with my red shoes, I went back and got a back-up pair at an even steeper markdown. 




Too bad about that piece of my soul I handed over by engaging in commerce at the place-beginning-with-W I would really rather avoid altogether - whenever I even think about it, I need to take a restorative page out of Helga and G's post-mall-shopping recovery strategy book! I kind of hate and feel apologetic about how much I love these crappy vinyl boots from poisoned source. 

All righty - Monday's outfit done. I am missing visiting y'all and am so looking forward to catching up everybody else's posts, which will equal many, many glorious hours of zoned-out bliss, can hardly wait! Thanks for coming by!  


30 comments:

  1. Great sweater. And a very sturdy outfit overall, perfect for days when you have work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those boots don't look ratty to me. They're sexy gorgeous and I love them with the long skirt.
    I have that same bag and it's such a staple isn't it? It lasts forever too.
    You always look wonderfully rich Amber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joni! In contrast to most inexpensive man-made materials, the wear on the boots isn't as horrible-looking as expected, despite the loose threads, scuffs, and peeling!

      It is a great bag - I only wish there was a slit pocket on the back, and that the interior pockets were deeper. I am incredibly picky!!!

      Delete
  3. I cannot stop looking at your boots, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, such a statement in any outfit. If they are ratty, just send them over. Iíi have them, lol
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sacramento! You may change your mind with future close-ups!

      Delete
  4. I love the necklace the best, but I also adore skirts that make sail-flapping noises! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila - the necklace is a big favourite too!

      Delete
  5. Well you still look great in your work clothes Amber. And after all the over-the-top-end shoes you've been showing, it's so endearing to hear your true confessions about today's go-to boots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that scarf. Such pretty colours and it looks great with the striped shirt. The sweater is nice and cosy looking too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan - I love this scarf (and being cosy) too!

      Delete
  7. Yes, you've nailed it - the push/pull of grotty vs non-grotty. Tough one! You've slain the beast of grot brilliantly here. You remind me of a New York photographer in this outfit - don't know why. The light is fading here too. The sun does a lazy roll across the sky at the horizon line then dumps itself under abruptly. And eleven-hour work days are just WRONG. I love your boots no matter the source, plus they are a source of power so that was a good call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie - the grot-factor is always a threat wherever inhumane schedules lurk. Yes, the insta-sunsets! I would say these boots are an anomaly from that place, and that you are correct as always!

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who buys "backups" of favorite items!! The stripes, the skirt, the red scarf... it's a great look!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - I'm always frustrated by the discontinuation of things I love! Hence, backups!

      Delete
  9. I see no rattiness! Those boots were worth braving the mall to find.
    Love that necklace. Almost as much as I love old faithfuls which always work, always look good and feel comfortable and RIGHT. With extra sound effects thrown in free. You must look after that skirt, extend its life as long as possible with love and care!
    Cool Ray Bans too! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Sheila; the necklace is my favorite part to. Well, that and you used the phrase 'dingle-dangles'. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dingle-dangles - the appropriate and official technical term! :D

      Delete
  11. Sometimes we are forced to deal with the devil to obtain a pair of comfy and uber-stylish shoes ;) I am in love with your leather and silver teardrop necklace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelley - at least soul-retrieval is possible!

      Delete
  12. See, Amber, the difference between your grotty and schleppy looks and mine, is that yours result in perfect pics. The whole line you've created with your scarf and long necklace make this outfit actually very elegant.

    Try to forgive the boots their birthplace. For they are innocent...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Lynne - your kindness! Goes to show, we're never actually as grotty-schleppy as we think, which goes for you too, gracious lady!

      Delete
  13. Oooh fabulous boots - I still REALLY miss my walmart moto boots. They had the best 2 inch curved heel and round toe. I could do anything in them. Your sweater looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! Those dependable wear-like-iron pieces are gratitude-inspiring for sure.

      Delete
  14. I suspect if the truth were known we've all had items from W. I love the skirt and the scarf in this look. You're ready for whatever the day may hand you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I especially appreciate this coming from you, Terri.

      Delete
  15. Terri is right-I've gone so far as to upcycle some of my (rare) Walmart finds. One of my favorite pairs of boots came from Payless in the 80's. I wore those bad boys into the ground. Not every favorite thing is from a pristine source, but at least we try. Your skirt reminds me of ones I've adored forever but no longer have. I regret that, seeing you. And as always, your deft hand with scarves is impressive, as is your way with words. The dingle-dangliness of your skirt and necklace is pure poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jean, you yourself are poetry in action! Thank you. xoxo

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber