Monday, 22 October 2012

Thermostatic

Hope everyone's week is off to a great start. I'm a little behind - this outfit was from last Thursday. I've been outside digging in the dirt while there's still time. We planted some native species of trees from our local forestry station to (eventually) fill in for a dying stand of jack pines. Poor old trees - their demise is exposing our little house at a shocking pace. Poor wee naked thing! 


scarf: Lupita's (Harlingen, TX), worn here
dress: Merona, thrifted
obi belt: Elizabeth Kelly London, etsy, worn here (with same shoes and sweater)
shoes: Kenneth Cole Reaction, Winners, worn lots and lots of times 




These shoes are happily comfortable for multi-day-wearing. Though a bit higher than my other low-heeled (yet still stylish!) shoes, the materials and finish are less fragile and have lasted incredibly well through 7-9 years of frequent wear, only needing a little touch-up on the heels but not even the lifts replaced. They are magic.   




The weather was really changeable (both indoors and out) this day, and I used every permutation of my scarf and sweater layers as usual - one or the other, both and none. I'm hanging on to summery-wear (like this dress) for dear life, knowing that by winter's end I'll be weary beyond words of my cold-weather gear. 


vintage stylized fish skeleton necklace: a gift from my mother, worn here


I had a slip and camisole underneath for warmth. With my workplace so chilly all summer (keeping it temperate on the window-wall side of the building has a decidedly February-ish effect on my subterranean chamber), sweaters and scarves remain necessary year-round. As a result, I have proportionally less severe summer-clothing ennui. 


sweater: Nurture, Dillard's, worn here and here (with same belt and shoes)




"Transitional" covers a lot of ground for me. I may yet get to rock my sweater-and-shorts combo, though I've never seen such a quintessentially Canadian outfit as I did once on a child riding a bike: shorts, rain boots, parka and a toque. It was adorable. 




Farmers are always inventive based on the weather, and practicality is key: my grandma wore a shower cap with her wetsuit, and my dad's discovery was when the sandy soil got too hot for bare feet yet filled the shoes painfully, well, hoeing the field in one's socks was just the ticket. 




In my windowless underground office (which can be seen in my first four blog posts), I am entirely separated from nature yet still experience unique and unpredictable weather systems. Despite my best layering preparations (and keeping a merino wool wrap in my desk) at desperate times I swipe the blanket from the play therapy room and drape it over my head. My colleagues tease me about looking "pious," but I know that I am scary. SCARY!!! (Am too, Lynne! Am too.)  Are there any unusual and hilarious - yet practical - combinations you enjoy wearing?




I also know for a fact we can find all sorts of combinations - tending toward unusual and amazing rather than hilarious - over at Patti's Not Dead Yet Style for Visible Monday. I'm headed there myself - come with me, check them out!


34 comments:

  1. I love that dress so much - the shape is so wonderful, and the pattern is just perfect. And even better with all that red!

    I am stoic at work (plus, I control my own thermostat), but at home, I am Layer Girl. Multiple t-shirts, sweaters with cardigans worn over them and my Bag Lady Sweater over all of that. And then I'm under a blanket (I'm under a very attractive bald eagle fleece blanket as I type).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila!

      At a previous workplace, I did a happy dance when a fey was accidentally left in the locked thermostat cover in my office. :)

      Our at-home wear bears many similarities - although I am covetous of your warm (and very attractive!) sounding bald eagle blanket - which I imagine goes fabulously with the reassuringly bear-and-gun lined sleeping bag!

      Delete
  2. You are absolutely the queen of the Obi belt! I love this black/white and red combo. I wore some of my "ancient" ankle boots today. Hooray for those stalwart shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I love those things which just work, I do!

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous dress, and stretchable to Fall, I see, with your creative layers. (I adore Nurture sweaters too). Hoorah for shoes that work for nine years! I stay warm at work with whatever it takes, and I rarely look as fab as you do right here : > but I do love a cozy scarf-as-blacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti - whatever it takes is right!

      Delete
  4. Love the black/white motif along with the red. The colors and patterns are delightful together. I agree with Une Femme about the obi belts!! You wear them impeccably.

    Crazy outfits? As in "don't give a damn what you think" outfits? Well, my sweetheart would tell you it's when my hair is up in a granny bun, no makeup, wearing the reading glasses halfway down my nose, sporting the red flannel pajama pants with the scotty dogs on them (his mother gave them to me and I love them) and a verrrry old baggy grey sweatshirt. Don't forget the ratty socks and old slippers. I'm in heaven but eventually I do want to take a shower, put on a little lipstick and face the world. Maybe someday I'll post the pics that will reveal the "real" me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, we have so much in common - fantastic "down time" stylins!

      Delete
  5. I love this outfit, and the full shot of the sweater is grand. Miracle shoes are always a welcome addition staple in one's wardrobe! I know that I shall be taking a blanket with me to my coffee shop this winter. When customers open the door, the arctic blast blows directly on the tables. Nobody else seems to care. I like how people call you pious with your blanket draping! I wonder if they'll call me pious too. More like SCARY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really beautiful combination of neutrals and color with textural richness! Wasn't sure about the red scarf until you finished the look with the so luxe-looking sweater. Perfect. Thank you for the pretty post!
    A couple of days ago I found myself stomping across pasture in dress 'shooties' with 3 and a half inch heels. (Long, stupid story. I accessorized with a feed-bucket and rope while looking for escaped horses.) Certainly no practicality about it, but falls right into the crazy category. Astonishingly, the shooties are still wearable in polite company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I recently chased chickens around the yard while wearing rubber boots and a tutu. Nice!

      Delete
  7. I love the red accesnt of your belt and shoes, gorgeousssssssssssss.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wearing a lot of black and red lately. I'm wearing it right now in fact. This is a nice colour combination on you. It looks great with your gorgeous skin. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! I so admire how the harder-edged black and white graphics (polka dots, checkerboard, wide stripes) look - on others! - alas. The ivory / floral softens it just enough.

      Delete
  9. This is such a beautiful outfit! The dress is so pretty, but not overly sweet, with the red accessories, just right! Maybe you should get a red hat like Melanie's? Her's is stylish and looks warm. Or maybe a beret?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I very much appreciate "not overly sweet!" Shiver me timbers!

      Delete
  10. Everything is absolutely perfect, Amber! Can't we see what you wore digging in the dirt too? I'm still dressed in my sleeping outfit - my old pillow case big top over my mom's curtains turned into pantaloons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will, sooner or later! They can be quite the wacky ensembles. :) I like the sounds of your "sleeping outfit!"

      Delete
  11. Magic shoes are good. Magic RED shoes are even better!
    This time of year is a challenge here too, you never quite know what the weather will do and need to be prepared for anything. Today - coolish, damp but not wet. Yesterday - full-on rain. At the weekend - glorious sun. No wonder we Brits obsess about the damn weather...
    Dresses are perfect for all eventualities, I think, precisely because you can layer up/layer down as required.
    You always dress, and write, with great charm and eloquence, Amber! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curtise - always such amazing feedback!

      Delete
  12. Great story about your Dad and Grandma's inventive responses to the weather in their dressing - farmers are always resourceful that way! My office is always chilly so I keep a knit poncho in my desk, and often wear a pair of arm warmers if I'm in something short-sleeved, which would spark the male staff to say, "just what exactly are those things on your arms?"

    Black, white and red is one of my favourite colour combinations. To me, it always looks funky and chic at the same time. Obi belts and big scarves rule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelley! Resourcefulness and creativity - which you have in spades - are where it's at!

      Delete
  13. I'm impressed that these shoes have lasted so long. And I love the mental image I have of your father hoeing in his stockinged feet.

    Our weather has been very unusual for October. It's usually very cool by now, but today I am in shorts and a tee by an open window hoping to catch a breeze that will overpower the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri - it's a treasured memory (thankfully not an element of a gruelling present!).

      Delete
  14. Black and white with red in so many combinations that it makes me dizzy in a good way. Your red shoes are timeless and stylish at the same time, which equals years of wear. I have a few pair like that too, and they are my friends until they fall apart at the seams. And then I have them fixed once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith! I had similar thoughts about my old glasses, and all the images passed through their lenses. :)

      Delete
  15. I love how the prints play together. The stripes too. I've had some shoes that really tough out the years and others that fall to bits when I look at them. I have to get creative with weather appropriate looks. Summers are so brutal here that going naked becomes a serious consideration some days. But air conditioning is arctic-cold everywhere, and my college doesn't switch it off when summer ends. They leave it on until it's officially cold outside and then turn on the heat. So my looks become very bizarre sometimes, but I've learned certain combos work better than others, and to bring a sweater or jacket everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, you can be scary, too, although I would personally for once in my life like to be an example of feral womanhood...lol.

    I love this red and black together. Your waist looks so tiny as always. I don't get nearly the same nipped in waist from my obi belts. I do play with my accessories during the day, tho'. Often my Arm Party is the only thing that keeps me from throwing myself out a window :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for scary!!! Feral womanhood isn't as fun as it sounds, darn cultural pressures and all the knowledge everyone else seems to already somehow know!

      I hear you about the secondary function of accessories - otherwise the point of my pen creeps up toward my eye in a most alarming fashion. ;)

      Delete
  17. The shoes ARE magic- the fact that they still look stylish after 9 years, yes. I love your belt as well. Magickal outfit!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber