Monday, 29 October 2012

Hoser

An enormous thank you to the incredibly lovely and talented Jean of Dross Into Gold who has so generously honoured me in her Ode Series, #5 post! Welcome new visitors! My heart is full. 

Sending good thoughts to everyone in the path of Hurricane Sandy. In contrast to tonight's heavy winds and rain dumpage, last Thursday was so beautiful and sunny, and a normal, regular work day felt like such a treat after the disproportionately gruelling earlier part of the week. I really hoped it would be beautiful enough to wear my Canadian, eh? shorts-and-a-sweater combo (these shorts!) - but in the end it wasn't the weather which scared me off, but good ole office chill. I was still well overdue for some teeth-hurtingly saturated colour though. 


sweater: Point Zero, local discount / overstock store, $6
necklace: thrifted, worn here
skirt: C.O. Design, Winners (2000, when I started at my current job)
shoes: Fluevog Mini Dollface, worn here and here




This sweater is such an unusual and puzzling tubular garment, which is why it's my favourite: a cylinder as long as I am tall, vertically slit halfway to create the "sleeves," and at that halfway point opposite the slit appears the cowl/turtleneck. I believe the wee pockets in front are there solely to indicate that there is a "front," which is good to know. Plus it's twirly AND flappy! 




Good thing my necklace is heavy, I can clutch it in an attempt to contain myself. 




But then there are my shoes, which were my treat to myself when I returned to the job I love after a two-and-a-half year medical leave spent lying on the couch in rotting pyjamas. I had been saving up for these, scored the January sale price, and wore them first on the occasion of returning to perform spoken word in front of an audience after a six-year absence. 




That empty stretch in between stands as evidence of how my life had shrivelled down to only-work in the years leading up to incapacitation. I hate that it is still such a major fact of my life and that I ever mention it at all and even keep going on about it, but if all that being over doesn't just call for some running around making airplane noises: 




Guess my necklace isn't that heavy. 
I was also whispering "fly-fly-fly" like Anthony Hopkins playing Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs




Late to the party as usual, I'm off to elbow-flap my way in and mix it up way down at the bottom of Patti's Visible Monday - let's go see all the awesomeness over there!

P.S. I just noticed that this outfit does exactly the same thing I admired on Gracey over at Fashion for Giants - black as grounding for brights at both ends - cool!


37 comments:

  1. My eyes want to go all cartoon spinny with that fantastic bubblegum colour and the airplane shots and I hope you spit when you ran around making that motor sound. The joy is fantastic! Hoser poser, Canadian, eh? LOL. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't have been a complete experience without spitting, I say!

      Delete
  2. Silence of the Lambs? Did you rub enough lotion into your skin tonight?
    I'm loving these dancing bluejay photos of you Amber. Enjoying your freedom! Spread your wings!

    (Not like the Rod Stewart song though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I PUT THE LOTION IN THE F'IN BASKET. Hmm, maybe ... exactly like the Rod Stewart song? *shivers*

      lol! Thanks, Joni!

      Delete
  3. Some significant life events have consequences that are far-reaching and ongoing, and the fact that you share a mention of them with us from time to time is honest yet restrained, rather than "going on"!
    But how fabulous that you are now in a place where you can wear wonderfully colourful clothes and play airplanes, and treat us to that brilliant collage - I think I can even hear the sound effects!
    I love this colour combination, and who wouldn't adore a jumper with Superhero wings? I also like the fact the long stretchy skirt is a nod to your long-time favourite style (thinking of your 1985 pics post) yet it is bright and warm and RED!
    (Btw, I would be very interested in seeing a clip of your spoken word performances, if you have any you felt willing to share... I just have an inkling that you are fabulous at it!) xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Clapping hard in hopes you will take the stage for us :)

      Delete
    2. Aww, thank you SO much, Curtise and Lynne! It's not out of the question, just at this point a matter of publication permissions for the couple I have on video, as they're currently submitted elsewhere.

      Delete
  4. Your sweatercape is truly one of the best garments ever. I love all your aeroplane/batman poses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Radostin - thank you so much for saying so!

      Delete
  5. Hello, I've just come via Dross into Gold and wanted to tell you how fabulous you look. Great style. I love this colour combination and the shoes! Do please keep running around making airplane noises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and welcome! Kind of you to drop by with such encouragement, which I will take right to heart.

      Delete
  6. I love that sweater so much, and not just because it makes you look so joyous. The design is awesome, and the color is perfect with those shoes. Those shoes! This whole post makes me happy. And happy for you. I think when you go through something so life-altering that it's good to talk about it and write about it and just process it fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lynne - I deeply appreciate your input and reflections!

      Delete
  7. I am happy all day now, imagining your airplane sounds (I am afraid of H. Lecter though, I get serious nightmares). Love these glorious colors and shapes, and your re-entry in "full life" mode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti - I'm glad I'm (finally!) getting a little scarier. ;)

      Delete
  8. Wow, there goes Superwoman! Swoosh! Zoom! Pirouette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whhhhhheeeeEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  9. Glorious!! Your colors are vibrant, and I feel like I'm about to take flight myself I'm so energized! I might have to copy the design of that sweater, too, in some upcycling project. I couldn't help but notice how the red rope in the barn compliments the color/composition of your photos. And of course, your shoes are works of art. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! It is so much fun to wear, which is why I wanted to describe its construction - I hope you will!

      Sooner or later we're going to have to actually use that big extension cord, lol.

      Delete
  10. Nothing vaguely resembling good old Anthony Hopkins here at all! Gorgeous combo. Beautiful palette. Congratulations on getting what you want on sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janin, thanks ever so much! Just love the little gifties from the universe. :)

      Delete
  11. Wow this is so beautiful.
    Great fit and beautiful colors.

    XO Arezu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Arezu - thanks for commenting so I could discover your blog as well! xoxo

      Delete
  12. I've been trying to come up with words to articulate how much I love this outfit. Pretty much what I've come up with is - I want to steal it! Seriously this is a fabulous look, and that sweater looks like so much fun. I'd spend the whole day pretending to be a superhero. And I do that often enough.

    These bright colors are amazing on you, the fluevogs perfectly tie them together, as vogs do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise indeed, especially coming from you, Megan Mae!

      Vroom!!!

      Delete
  13. This is probably one of the simpler outfits I've seen you in, in that it's composed of two solid colour, unadorned pieces, but it's one of my favourites because of the sheer unadulterated joy in the colours and that brilliant sweater/tube/cape! I love the combo of teal blue and a good red, and then you go and tie it all together with those faboulous shoes. If you ever tire of the sweater cape, please let me know ;)

    It's important to celebrate our good health when we have it. People who have been through long illnesses that have required them to put their life on hold, like you have, know this better than anyone. Zoom on, flygirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this, Shelley - your kind feedback and encouragement is so thoughtful!

      Delete
  14. Oh, what an amazing sweater! I want one just like it!! And, what, you do spoken word too? Are there videos of any you have done that I can track down? There have been times I've tried to encourage my students to take part in slams...with mixed results. There is a definite ART to delivery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri - thanks! - no videos public just yet! Do you have the stark divisions between lyric / "page" poets, slam poets, and storytellers in your area? What I appreciate about the festival I've just come back from is that it celebrates and includes it all as oral tradition.

      For some unbelievably great delivery, I suggest checking out the storyteller Ivan Coyote on YouTube, as well as the Words Aloud channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/WordsAloud2

      Delete
  15. What a great sweater! I love pieces that have unique shapes - I feel like I so rarely see innovative designs anymore, so it's nice to see a piece that looks different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacey! I totally appreciate your appreciation of a nifty unusual garment!

      Delete
  16. Ooo now theres a quirky sweater/ jumper ;) love how you played it. :) and another pair of swoon me off me feet fluevogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are SO adorable, I want to hug you and kiss you and call you George!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As usual Amber, you've out done yourself in the cool/un-ordinary/stylish clothing department. That sweater kind of looks like a cape, which in turn makes you look like the super woman you are.
    Feel free to gripe about the J.O.B. anytime, your blog friends are listening and ready lend a shoulder to cry on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila - I'm thrilled that others appreciate the weird and wacky, and I've been so moved by the warm and supportive response of the blog-o-verse.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber