Sunday, 26 August 2012

True Colours / Liebster Award

I dedicate today's post to anyone who sometimes wonders if they might need "less colour and more basic neutrals," including some of the most magnificent bloggers ever, Pearl of Fashion Pearls of Wisdom, and Sheila of Ephemera (who I think has these same shorts in turquoise). 

sunglasses: Ray Ban
scarf: Gabii's, TX near border to Progreso
bag: Fossil, Dillard's
top: local discount / overstock store
shorts: Reitman's, thrifted
shoes: Fluevog Faith Nazareth


My own very easy answer to that question is "NO!" 
Just in case you hadn't guessed. 


I also send my love to Melanie of Bag and a BeretCatherine of Not Dressed as Lamb, and the Advanced Style ladies, for showing us how it's done. Do check out Catherine's post on "age-appropriate" vs. occasion-appropriate dressing. 


I can't think of much more tiresome than the Judgy McJudgy-Pants-ers doing their ever-limiting thing as regards age, gender, and body size, and so right this second, I will leave them to waste their own time and energy. How about that?

Returning straight away to the absolutely fantastic, the above-mentioned Melanie has bestowed the Liebster Award upon yours truly! As my Blogger profile is woefully empty and I haven't even started an "About" page, this honour is doubly appreciated. You will find all of the Liebster-y goodness below the jump. Enjoy your day, everyone!







Answer Melanie's questions: 

1. On a desert island, which would you choose, a pocket knife or a solar-powered e-reader?
Pocket knife. I'd get a lot done with a knife, but don't know how to use an e-reader. 

2. As one of 27 island castaways, what would be your job: hut-builder, chef, caregiver, tailor, banker, other? In the past, I would have been "the one who does all the work." I'm learning to say "no" to character-building experiences, because I am already a character. Nowadays I'd be in charge of accessories and therapy, categories which have a great deal of overlap. 

3. Would you like some fries with that? Yes, but only if no gluten-containing foods have been through the oil. Sweet potato fries if you got 'em. 
4. What's the meaning of life (in ten words or less)? I will have to get back to you on that.  
5. Zip-lining in a rain forest, deep sea fishing in the Bahamas, or spelunking in Brunei? Ooh, spelunking! I was zip-lining in Carolinian canopy earlier this summer, and prefer to let deep-sea creatures be.  
6. What's the scariest movie you've ever seen? KIDS
7. One night of guilt-free lust, who with: Prince Charles, Steve Buscemi, Mister Ed (a talking palomino horse from a 1960s American sitcom by the same name), Portia de Rossi? Steve Buscemi, of course. 
8. What's your favourite flower? Gladiolus. Also, iris, snapdradon, magnolia. 
9. Do you ever dream that your teeth are falling out? Yes! Though I barely ever dream about anyone I know. 
10. Which is your favourite: mice, spiders or snakes? Spiders. 
11. Which way is north? ^ That-a-way. 



Write 11 facts about myself:
1. Whenever I see the phrase "neem tree cream," I hear it in Urkel's voice. 
2. I had the great (and disappearing) privilege to come of age accompanied by a truly excellent automobile, in my case passed down to me through the family by a great-aunt and great-uncle. It was a 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88, white, 2-door, with a 403 ci V8 engine. I learned to drive in "the '77", which remained my vehicle until 1998. 
3. I haven't thrown up - not once, not for any reason - since I had the flu at age 12. 
4. Besides putting together outfits, my current creative pursuits include writing poetry and traditional Ukrainian egg decoration using non-traditional designs (pysanky, which, translated, also means "writing").
5. I am so hopelessly bad at Frisbee that, when I am along, my friends call it "The Amber Frisbee Workout" (tm). My best friend's husband once had to climb down a ravine. 
6. I don't recall the last time I wore any makeup other than lipstick, and aside from one unfortunate Sun-In experiment during my early teens, I have never dyed my hair. 
7. I am gluten intolerant, and have a horrible allergic reaction to most perfumes and heavily-scented products. 
9. Whenever I see the word "exfoliate," I hear it being said by the actor playing Johnny Rotten in the movie Sid and Nancy (a la "exterminate"). 
10. I hate ironing and go to extreme lengths to avoid it entirely. As I recently said to Megan (fellow Liebster-er!) over at The Fashionable Bureaucrat, "I'm glad other people post their wrinkly selves. I think of it as effectively adding interesting texture. DIY, even."
11. I cringe at the words "orthotics," "thong," and"smoothie," but have no issue with words lots of other people hate, such as "moist" or "panties."
12. I break chain letters / emails. 

Name 11 new awardees (and notify them of their nomination):

Eep! This is where I fail so hard as a Liebster awardee! All the bloggers I know who might carry their awardee status with aplomb already hold several such titles, or for other bloggers I'm coming to love, it would seem that even the prestigious Liebster is not a fit for their use of blogging. What I will do instead is bestow the coveted Liebster on those folks occupying the space I was in less than two weeks ago: Lurkers, commenters-without-blogs, people who might wish they have blogs but aren't able to right now for whatever reason, YOU!!! You may fulfil your (abbreviated) Liebster rights and obligations in the comments section by telling us just one thing about yourself and answering just one of my questions below.  

To distract the possibly-stern Liebster officials from my non-fulfilment of duty, here is a video of Maryjane Frystack (who you met the other day) and our other white hen, Mrs. Gloria Carscadden, in their presentation of a duet version of The Egg Song:



Ask the new awardees 11 new questions: 
1. Which three words do you love and hate the most?
2. Do you have any favourite foods that could be considered unusual? 
3. What is the greatest kindness someone has ever done for you? 
4. Which songs get brutally stuck in your head?
5. What is it about people of all ages, genders, and sizes enjoying the heck out of their personal style which leads some folks to feel so anxious and threatened?
6. What is the best smell ever?
7. Is there something about your life that surprises you the most?
8. What gets in the way of your doing things you know are good for you?
9. Tell me something you miss about a place you used to live. 
10. What are your three favourite books?
11. What's your next step?

Thanks in advance for any answers which show up in the comments! 

To recap, here are the rules:
1. The new nominee must post 11 things about him/herself. Check!
2. Answer the 11 questions from the person who gave you the award. Check!
3. Choose 11 new nominees and link them in your post. (Only because I might not yet have 11 lurkers. Hey look, chickens!)
4. Create 11 questions for the bloggers you've nominated. Check! 
5. Go and tell them that they've been nominated. Check!
6. No tag back! None here! 

27 comments:

  1. Great post! I can get caught into thinking I need to wear all black or all neutrals sometimes...because that's all I use to wear for years. It's just boring after a while. Thanks for the celebration for color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joni - we are such creatures of habit - it certainly doesn't take much to get stuck in a rut.
      Hooray for the freedom to wear colour!

      Delete
  2. OMG I love this look. The top and shorts combo is so fab and looks even cooler with those awesome shoes. The bag is just icing on the cake of fabulousity. Fossil is one of my favorite "non-funky" brands.

    I love all of your answers - especially that you have teeth falling out dreams too! I tend to have those dreams when I'm super stressed. Also I'm impressed that you haven't thrown up since you were 12! I want to keep that kind of track record, lol.

    OMG CHICKENS! So so cute!

    I'm going to steal your questions so I have something to post tomorrow! I start back to classes and want to have something written up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Megan Mae - I've had good experiences with Fossil bags. The messenger bag I wore to pieces before my current one was this brand as well. Though I did wear it out completely, it gave me years of daily hard use.

      I love that you used my questions, and your answers are fantastic!

      Delete
  3. Well, I would have to join you in saying no thanks to more basic neutrals! Colours, please. And prints, spots, stripes, mix 'e all up, the more the merrier! Save me from beige, please, and I am not to be fooled by calling it oatmeal or nude or ecru either!
    I do like the red shorts, but it's the fabulous flowy top that has really caught my eye, I thought it was a peacock print at first but is it circles, rather like eyes? Great shoes and sunglasses too.
    If you are interested in meeting bloggers for whom "neutral" and "age-appropriate" are dirty words, can I recommend Desiree, whose blog is called Pull your socks up? She is utterly fabulous, I think you'd appreciate her!
    Good to learn more about you, Amber. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome that you are a fellow colour + prints celebrant, Curtise! Yes, the top is a peacock-feather print - I thought it was unusual and kind of humorous done in grey / silver.

      Thank you for recommending Desiree!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous shoes. Some Fluevogs look so much better on feed and combined with an outfit than they do on the website. I wouldn't have given those a second look before I saw them styled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Seeing others wearing them is usually the thing that gives me what I call the "Aw, DAMMIT!" which is visceral state of "gotta have 'em." Dammit. The Everyday Fluevog series (of which yours remains my favourite) is super-effective.

      Delete
  5. PS, I just played the chicken video and my cat, Merlin, who was in my lap, freaked out. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answers, great questions! I looooove how you broke the RULES! However, there are consequences: You shall be punished forwith by the Liebster Squad who'll dress you in Juicy track pants and an ultra-low-cut T-shirt that says Hollister, and force flip flops on you. Then you'll have to colour your hair orange yellow and perm it too (which might be fun actually so nix that). I love your first car and your outfit today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the wickedness!!! I knew I was in for some serious punishment! ;)

      Delete
  7. I'm totally intimidated by all you snarky fabulous Liebsters who have set the bar so high that I can't possibly compete. I'm too tired and intoxicated to be up to snuff. You are really cool, though, and I'll try my best. I might have to sleep it off, though, since 3:30 am was pretty brutal (and I'm still sleep-walking) last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...guess I WAS sleepwalking (or intoxicated)! Now that I've come to my senses, let me say that your outfit is a feast of pattern and color. I love the top, but then I looked again at the amazing Fluevogs and bag combination. The scarf is a glorious addition too. I also loved your answers to Melanie's questions.

      And yes, I'm still intimidated :-)

      Delete
    2. Dear Jean, I think you sell your amazing self short! Everything is harder when we're tired, including being clever - good thing this-all is not a competition! Congrats on being Liebster-ed! I so look forward to learning more about YOU. Thanks for your kind words! xo

      Delete
  8. Cool answers. Fun to learn more about you. Oh, and being the pedant I am, here's the guy -- Andrew Schofield. (Actor who played Johnny Rotten)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ally! I adore your pedantic self! Birds of a feather, etc.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your award! I loved reading your answers. I, too, was a young victim of Sun In! Now I must get to work.
    Connie*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie! It sure was a uniquely unflattering shade of brassy orange, lol.

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad Melanie gave you the award so we could learn more about you! Why am I so fascinated that you haven't thrown up since you were 12?? I too, am terrible at frisbee, and hula hoops. I'm crushing on that delicious pleated top you're wearing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only severely-Frisbee-challenged one! You are my people! We could launch a Frisbee-Fail-Fitness enterprise - with both of us at it, and all the ditch-and-ravine-and-fence-scaling involved, we'd be a smashing success!!!

      And then buy lots of shoes with our proceeds. :)

      Delete
  11. I love questionnaires! You learn so much about people. :) I also break chain letters (I break these awards, too, never pass them on).

    I am very good at Frisbee, but I also dream about my teeth falling out (I have written poems about that - I'm also a writer!). I liked your questions, so I'm gonna answer them.

    1. Which three words do you love and hate the most?
    - plethora, threnody, molybdenum
    2. Do you have any favourite foods that could be considered unusual?
    - horseradish (really hot!). My husband always laughs at me when I eat it, because my eyes water.
    3. What is the greatest kindness someone has ever done for you?
    - stayed with me, even when I pushed them away.
    4. Which songs get brutally stuck in your head?
    - none, I use the "Hockey Night in Canada" theme song cure!
    5. What is it about people of all ages, genders, and sizes enjoying the heck out of their personal style which leads some folks to feel so anxious and threatened?
    - They believe the media hype, that we should all be forever young and beautiful, and no one can ever threaten that belief or they'd have to realize that yes, one day, you will be old/fat/unfashionable.
    6. What is the best smell ever?
    - a toss-up between fresh-cut grass, gasoline or pink erasers.
    7. Is there something about your life that surprises you the most?
    - I can't believe I've been married this long! I can't believe I'm this old!
    8. What gets in the way of your doing things you know are good for you?
    - me, and my negative self-talk. I have a self-destructive streak a mile wide (mostly under control)
    9. Tell me something you miss about a place you used to live.
    - I've only lived in 6 different houses/apartments/condos in my entire life. I miss being closer to town (even though I'm only 4 blocks from the centre of town).
    10. What are your three favourite books?
    "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury, "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert Heinlein, and "The Lord of the Rings" by JRR Tolkien.
    11. What's your next step?
    - I don't know. I don't have a lot of ambition or drive. I kind of let the stream flow over me and see where I want to go from there. Life tends to throw you curve balls, so best not to have too many plans. Actually, right now the next step is dinner. :)

    Thanks, Amber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Sheila! PINK ERASERS. :) I love your answers!!! Though I feel similarly to you about blog-awards, as a newbie it was good - especially coming from the awesome Melanie! - and I'm so glad you & Megan liked my questions. :)

      Delete
  12. It makes me extra-happy that these shoes are comfortable too.
    Thanks for stopping by & commenting, Keely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's true sometime Im out shopping and I get overwhelmed by all the neutrals but as soon as I try it for myself I can't resist the urge to roll around in my closet until I look like rainbow vomited all over me! I guess some of us were made to be loud and proud ha ha! I adore the blue of your scarf what a beautiful colour x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so liberating to question and let go of all the fashion "shoulds" one possibly can, as life is already over-full of "shoulds"!

      I found a recent poll about "the classics" on Already Pretty http://www.alreadypretty.com/2012/07/already-prettypoll-the-classics.html fascinating, as a great many people responded that certain types of "classics" work well for them while others (at times dramatically) do not.

      And you are correct - certain of us just can't help ourselves!! xo

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber