Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Horseshoe Nails

Well hi - readers! I am thrilled to have you here - a huge thank-you to total doll Megan Mae for posting the link as a "blog to watch!" Thanks for all of your comments and for your patience with my being totally new at this. It's like when company arrives early, but you are so glad to see them it doesn't matter that you are drooling toothpaste and haven't yet accessorized! 


I'll be putting in extra hours at the office for another couple of weeks yet, but do have some other photo locations to experiment with. 

shark-bite-hem tank: Bellina Winners
obi belt: Elizabeth Kelly London etsy
wrap skirt: Alchemy (Danforth, Toronto) 10+ yrs ago
clogs: Fluevog Ask Answer 

I love this skirt. Every time I wear it I remember it needs some darts at the waist and a different buttonhole for the wrap tie so it hangs better and doesn't poof out at the bum. Unfortunately, little alterations don't stand a chance against my actual mending pile, which holds steady at about knee-high. 
scarf: Gabii's Texas, near border at Progreso
sweater: Shana K Becky's, South Padre Island
black long johns: Elita The Bay


I was talking to Ally about a shoe pet peeve - at about size 10, many shoes which are gorgeous in smaller sizes suddenly look ... bad. Seems an issue of pattern / scale translation, and not usually a problem with Fluevogs. Except for these, which I ordered online. I still love and wear them, but wish wish wish I loved them just a little bit more!  



antique orange amber bracelet: a gift from my mother

Sorry, something grotty happened to to the colour here
horseshoe nail necklace: Old Clothing Show and Sale, Toronto, early '90s

Horseshoe nails are supposed to bring good luck. I certainly feel lucky today to have had so many folks come by - including my FAVOURITE favourite fashion bloggers! Thanks for visiting! 

Luck and happiness to y'all. 





EDITED TO ADD: speaking of FAVOURITE favourite fashion bloggers, thank you Megan of The Fashionable Bureaucrat (and of the original under-desk photo, superior style, and general complete awesomeness) for the welcome link! 

22 comments:

  1. Lovely obi belt and fluevogs! I love the heel on those. I hope they start to grow on you because they're totally cool.

    I know what you mean about sewing! I have huge backlog, but I keep doing little projects because they're easy. I sewed some elbow patches onto an old sweater because I am ready for fall even though temps are still in the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was definitely feeling "fall" today with my Halloween colours!

      I need to figure out different things to wear these clogs with - I'm kind of bad for some things getting compartmentalized into only one outfit; the Ask/Answers are among those things. It feels almost a sacrilege to not completely adore them, but I feel like the proportions are off at this large of a size, which diminishes the beauty of the design.

      One of the many reasons I enjoy your blog is your mad remixing skillz! I learn lots from you!

      Delete
  2. Hi there,

    I just wanna thank you for popping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment, appreciate it! :) Welcome to blogtopia, Im sure you will like it here. :) Wow, I really like what I see here, love your mix of prints and colours. You have yourself a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Izzywizz, hi!!! Thank you for your kind comment and for following; I appreciate the reciprocity in blogtopia so much! :)

      Delete
  3. May I request larger font for my old eyes, please? (your font at the bottom is nice and large). Also larger pictures so I can see all the cool stuff in the background! :)

    I love the Fluevogs too! They are really funky - and I don't think they even look big. Maybe you're the only one who sees your big feet (I'm a fellow large-footed one, at 5'4" with size 9-10 feet).

    My mom has a horseshoe necklace like that from the 70s. Must plot to get it from her...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it! I appreciate this feedback. I'm still figuring out how to make the photos & text behave at all (seems I keep setting off the wipers / lights / car alarm / door locks in "dashboard"), but I definitely want it to be comfortable here.

      Your feet don't look big at all either! When I was 12 and mine reached their current substantial extravagance, I was distraught over resembling the letter "L."

      I love how you incorporate pieces from your mom! Mine has great taste too. :)

      Delete
  4. Hello, hello! You have awesome style and I shall definitely be stopping by here regularly - I had to sign up! I'm so glad to have found you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie, hi!!! Thank you so much - the feeling is entirely mutual!

      (I am still chuckling over "fake Paris!" )

      Delete
  5. Great layering and I love those shoes so much. Definitely keep those babies.

    Great accessorizing too. Lots of chuncky bracelets is such a fun look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! We add and remove layers all day long here. It's not as cold as it has been, though I may yet feature the blanket from the play therapy room.

      I'm going to work on my clog relationship - not ready to give up!

      Delete
  6. Love the silhouette and you have a great eye for prints; I love the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are so many cool details in this post, I dunno where to look first! Your office is a lovely photo locale. I want your pendant. And your scarf :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne! Thanks so much for coming over and the great comment! After being so long a lurker, it was you who inspired me to get started posting this week rather than next or sometime in the future. Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Really? I am so honored to have had a wee part in the birth of such an amazing style blog. What's really funny is that I lurk, too. There's a couple of bloggers who sort of awe me to the point of speechlessness. They are kind of look but don't touch in my mind. I like the ones who welcome a conversation along with their amazing style :)

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh...this is an amazing debut, if I'm reading you right! I was arrested by your thumbnail portrait (great hair!) and had to check you out. So glad I did.

    I love the colors and artistic presentation of your blog. Plus, you love bracelets like I do!! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the Bloggerverse!! I too wear a size 10 shoe, and get what you mean that some shoes don't look as nice in big sizes, but I would totally wear those black funky black ones! I have a necklace made of horseshoe nails too - I've never noticed an increase in luck when I've worn it though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hi Shelley!!! SO glad to see you here, and thank you for the welcome!

      I love that I'm already meeting so many other ladies with great big feet like me, and I would love to see your horseshoe nail necklace! Do you have anything that does feel "lucky?"

      Delete
  10. Megan Mae is such a wonderful blogger. I am so glad she let us know about your blog. I love it already. You have great style and I love your accessories!
    I have a horsehoe nail necklace that I need to find and wear. They are cool and have a Danish vibe to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Debbi, she sure is! How about YOUR accessories, a compliment from you is gold! Thanks!

      Delete
  11. I'm with you on the shoe-thing. (And thanks for mentioning me.)

    You've jumped into blogging with a splash. Despite your newness, you're making friends fast. Good for you. My only request is to join Sheila in asking for larger font: my old eyes struggle to read tiny print. Otherwise, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ally - I am blown away and thrilled by the warm response I'm receiving already! I anticipated a more gradual easing in and an echo chamber to quietly muck about in as I have so much to learn. I'll be working right away with today's post to become an "easier" read ... which I hope doesn't totally bork the whole works. Fingers crossed.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber