Friday, 31 August 2012

Blue Moon

Hello friends! I present to you the Ghost of Trousers Past. This outfit is more loose and flowy than I prefer nowadays, but my activities demanded full range of motion and absolute comfort. Serious Outfits will return next week, I'm sure! 

tired face: not enough sleep, DIY
scarf: Gabii's, TX, near border to Progreso
cardigan: deane & white, Winners
shark-bite hem tank: Bellina, Winners, last worn here
silk pants: Exclusive, now-defunct silk shop in College Park, Toronto
flip flops (I know, sorry - usually farm-wear only! Can you ever forgive me?): Joe Fresh



I acquired these pants in 1995 during my first grad school internship - along with every other clothing item they had in this print: tank top, great wide gathered shorts, long vest. Good thing too, because the pants eventually needed lengthening. Elastic long since sprung, they are held up by foldover + safety pin. Having seen me though so much already, a couple of times each summer they dig deep for one more round, and I will probably wear them until they fall right off. 

watch: Stuhrling Tuskegee Skylancer
usual wrist wear (details here)
vampire juice / sacred space / perfume flask pendant: The Victorian Shoppe, Toronto (mid-90's)
Knowing me, that occasion will be a very public, dramatic, and most inconvenient catastrophic disintegration. I am just so grateful that it was not today. Yay!!!


On the kind of day that rumpled even The Magic Pants, I arrived home to a great surprise - my obi belt and buttonflowers from Megan Mae Designs had arrived!!! I must tell you that Megan's customer service is outstanding, and what a gorgeous treat this package was to open: 


See! I have an incredible urge to decorate myself. As I was emailing Megan, I'm beginning to understand why I find buttonflowers so fascinating - I think it has to do with the blending, through transformation by hand, of things our culture codes "masculine" and "feminine.

Also, to feel like I have friends along with me through these days - buttons which might have come from Sheila, a buttonflower in the same dragon fabric as Lynne's obi, handmade by Megan - is just so heartening. 

Wishing the same to you, and so much more often than once in a blue moon. 

24 comments:

  1. The print is so floral and psychedelic at the same time! LOVE it!
    XOXO
    -Daisy Nguyen from PS BANANAS fashion blog:
    http://psbananas.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daisy - though these pants have seen better days, they still rake in plenty of compliments!

      Delete
  2. Love the print on the linen pants with the long tank. I know about the tired face - I've had it all week. I'm so glad everything got to you so quickly. Can't wait to see how you use your buttonflowers and obi. Thanks again for ordering them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, seems a few of us are current hurting units; wishing good rest to you this weekend, my friend. I have big plans for my beautiful MMD accessories, starting right away!

      Delete
  3. Flip flops are okay, as long as your toes are painted. ;)
    Love your button flowers. I received mine about a week ago. I love them so much I have them spread out on my dresser until I decide exactly how I'm going to use them. Right now I'm leaning toward making a necklace with all of them together! But then I wouldn't be able to use them here and there......I need more perhaps. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew! So relieved to hear it!

      My buttonflowers are spread on my dresser too, lol! And I DID order more, which are on their way as we speak - we are buttonflower fiends!

      Delete
  4. Yes, there is much that is heartening about blogging, I have had lovely treasures sent to me from friends I have never met, and love the feeling I get when wearing them.
    I hope your beloved trousers hold up a bit longer, they are such a gorgeous print, I can see why you fell for them! Let's hope they don't fall for you, not in public anyway...
    Looking forward to seeing you wearing Megan Mae's belt and button brooches. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Curtise - these kinds of connections are something I'd been sorely missing for a while now.

      Accidental public wardrobe catastrophes WOULD have to be the typical way these things do go!

      Delete
  5. Inspiring ensemble, and great inspiration. I must try the buttomflowers, ummmmmmmmmmmm ideas, ideas...
    Have a grand weekend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - I find the buttonflowers so intriguing and just gorgeous myself!

      Delete
  6. Isn't it wonderful to have something in your wardrobe that just keeps going and going like the Ever-ready bunny? I do like wide, flowing pants, but after my adventures with a pair (see my blog under "The Dangers of Rushing" I must, for the sake of my bones and teeth, wear things that will not trip me up. Do LOVE your combinations! Very inspiring!!

    Cheers from Rosemary of
    www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your poor chin! Hope you've healed up nicely. Fortunately these ones are not quite long or wide enough to be dangerous! Thanks for your kind words, Rosemary.

      Delete
  7. I'ma brag here but I got to see Megan's button flowers in person. They are so glorious en masse I wanted to throw them on her bed and wallow in them, ala American Beauty...lol.

    Your pants story made me smile. I shall pray hard that they do not give up the ghost in a public place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great image, Lynne - a short hop to Indecent Proposal! :) Megan's abundant Fruits of Labour post http://www.meganmaedaily.com/2012/08/fruits-of-labor.html prompted my 2nd order before the first had even arrived, and she was so kind to pick out the ones I spotted in that great box o' pretty.

      All of the fashion-blogger wishes and prayers for continued pants-cohesion will surely protect me!

      Delete
  8. Fab print swishy pants - Excellent! I do hope they don't give out in an inconvenient location! I think I will have to investigate how to get myself some of those button flowers - I think they are so cool and I can think of a few ways to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley! I too was so inspired, and Megan has gathered photos of them being deployed all around the fashion blog-o-sphere: http://www.meganmaedaily.com/2012/08/sew-sunday-show-off-4.html

      Delete
  9. These pants are perfect as they are. I'd love a pair of flowy printed pants, but they are surprisingly hard to find in giant size. Sad face. But, happy face for you; you look fabulous. And that print is just the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gracey! These are the only ones I've ever had, but I do also still have a pair of vertical striped / woven loose pants from the same era. My impression is that it's been a while since palazzo / flowy pants in general have been 'widely' available.

      Delete
  10. I'm impressed that you still have pants from 1995! And I wonder if the elastic could somehow be replaced. I think these look beautiful...enough to wear as a hostess at a dinner party! You were certainly better dressed in graduate school than I was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore them with a black t-shirt and square-toed ankle boots! It was a generally challenging shift from grunge-era student garb to clothes I felt might contribute to (rather than detract from) some idea of competence (gulp!) during my first years of practice.

      Delete
  11. Button flowers are great. I made a couple to apply on a tee recently and was very satisfied with the result. Must make more :)
    As for the pants - sometimes I wish I could spend my days in them, they're so comfy and cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed your buttonflowers at the top of a recent post - nice work! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. :)

      Delete
  12. Nice drapey look! I like the patterned pants, and am happy to see them coming back in style.

    That square button is definitely one of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Sheila - that makes me so happy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber