Saturday, 4 January 2014

A New Leaf

Last post (thanks for your kind condolences on the felling of my tree and Curtise for immortalizing the moment with care and humour) I promised the story of these boots. They'd been on my Amazon wish list forever, as I waited and waited and waited for the price to drop on the last pair as it sometimes will and / or for a great big discount code to come along. Then they sold out, as often happens. And then they reappeared just as I received payment for the publication of two of my poems in The Malahat Review. Hooray!!!


green scarf: Lupita's (Harlingen, TX), worn here
leaf pattern bell-sleeved peplum jacket: I.C. by Connie K., Becky's (South Padre Island, TX), worn here

favourite scoop neck pullover sweater: Esprit (2005), worn here
sheer-layered black skirt: Nygard collection, thrifted, worn here
amazing bottle-green boots: Fluevog Radio Ard, worn here




I have also updated the blog's new-ish Writings And Such page with my pysanky art being chosen for my friend Sean Steel's book and SUNY Press's Spring 2014 catalogue cover - last year, I decorated nine eggs on the theme of wisdom in response to his dissertation. 


necklace of silver leaves: (which I love even more for its resemblance to tobaccoBeleza, won in giveaway from the incredible Ann of Blue Hue Wonderland 


Back to outfits, I adore vintage peplums, but find that this trend-go-round, the definition has morphed into "unfortunate stiff little ruffle sticking out at ribcage-level without reference to proportion of torso or figure." Most of them don't look right to (or on) me, but this ivory and black jacket is a welcome exception. I'm linking with Mis Papelicos for Share-in-Style: Favourite Colours because I've worn this green scarf for three posts in a row.


fuzzy plaid vintage coat with snack bowl buttons: Bromleigh New York, passed along by dear friend, worn here (see the pretty labels!)




Further to vintage and old-timey-informed and traditionally-constructed garments that don't mess around, I've got my woolies on. We're anticipating 15 cm / 6" of snow tomorrow and next week's temps will be dropping down near -20 C / -4 F - which is quite a bit warmer than last week! That "swish-swish" of snow pants you hear in the distance might be me catching up: I'm waddling over to Style Crone in time for Hat Attack


black wool lop-eared cloche: Scala Collezione, Becky's (South Padre Island, TX)
knitted scarf: handmade gift from aunt R., worn here
thrummed mittens (ON A STRING): handmade locally, special order
winter boots: Sorel Cate the Great


Happy New Year, everyone! 

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the publication of your poems, Amber! And on the acquisition of these truly wonderful boots. You stalked them (in a friendly way) and made them yours! That's a beautiful peplum top too. Stay safe and covered up xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely outfit. You look like nature itself in this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't go wrong with boots!

    Congrats on being published and a glorious New Year to you ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the publication - I have some old copies of the Malahat Review from the 70s! I love that jacket and the flashes of green. Wonderful as always.

    A very happy New Year to you and Beary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those boots are SO worth stalking! They are gorgeous. I love the leaf necklace too. I like the longer, softer peplums best, and your jacket is a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amber, oh I love the green boots and the whole outfit! Congrats on the publication. Money well spent on these beauties. I had some green boots in the 80's I was crazy about. Fun to see the necklace working in beautifully with all the textures. Northern MN is -40 tonight, -20 here tomorrow. Stay save and warm!

    blue hue wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for indulging us with the boot story, and giving us a gorgeous outfit to set them off. I love the leaf-theme (a nice tribute to your fallen tree). Congratulations on the publishing of the poems, and the use of your lovely egg art. I will try to get over to Hat Attack if this cold that has confined me to quarters lets up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look like a lovely wood nymph. I loved Curtise's photo of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the publication (your last name sounds kind of Ukrainian -)!
    Again, this is a great outfit with all parts and this vintage coat. Winter is hard at you while here still above 0 ° ...
    The silver leaves necklace is my absolute favorite!
    By the way: I also sometimes stalking things, if not shoes (to whom my relationship is broken, but I do admirers in other -)
    Happy lucky New Year

    ReplyDelete
  10. So the Green Boots of Gorgeousness were finally yours! They were worth the wait. The green-flowy-leaf motif is beautiful. Lovely necklace from Ann, delightful leaf print, as always inspired textures and details and layers. I agree about modern peplums; I have a long torso and the sticky-out bit sticks out from under my boobs, yuk... But your jacket is long and lean and so very flattering.
    Congratulations on getting your work published, and the use of your egg art. You are multitalented, and I am in awe.
    Thank you for the mention - it's funny, I created that photo of you before your poor tree met its sad end, yet it ended up being appropriate. Life does that sometimes.
    Keep warm and cosy in your vintage coat and your mittens ON A STRING! And a very happy new year to you too, lovely Amber. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the touches of green in this outfit and the cut of the frock coat is so lovely over the soft frills of the skirt. Hooray for getting the boots at a reduced price and congratulations on the publication of your poems!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Green boots, graceful peplum jacket, and beautiful hat with leopard headband? It's all gorgeous! And now I also get to go and look at your artwork - what a wonderful post! I hope you can keep warm in all that horrible weather, and that you don't lose any more flora or fauna.

    Also, thanks for the link to Curtise's 300th post - I had missed it in the Christmas rush of traveling, but it is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So you earnt those puppies with your amazing writing skills?! I'm so thrilled and impressed!
    THAT'S why they disappeared for a while, your work just needed to come out into the world!
    I love them, they're funky as. I'm also besotted with your leaf necklace and the darling jacket!
    HAPPY NEW YEAR, my lovely! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay on getting money for your writing. I thought all artists were expected to work for free these days. Go make more!! (money and art and joy) Your boots are clearly a worthy exchange for your toil, they are so fabulous. I was browsing your writing (and will do more of it!) - so excellent that you've put it up. THANK YOU!
    Question: Do you have any clothes with ugly or plain names like Good Co. or Canadian Clothing Co.? Do you buy clothes because their labels inspire you poetically?, because they inspire me. "Sorel Cate the Great"? Happy New Year!! Bundle up, Bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, oh my. There's so much here, I believe I'm overwhelmed with all your riches and niches. Ahh, the colors, textures, patterns. That bottle green as you call it, glows with your leaf pattern peplum and that necklace, oh my, oh my. sensory overload, sensory overload, tilt. And there's art and writing, and hats, oh my. I must take a nap and come back...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Amber, So much in this post, which is always the case with you. Congratulations on the publication and for the acquisition of these 'killer' boots. Green, no less! I'm going to have to explore this concept of 'the Amazon list.'

    Peplums are a favorite of mine, trend or no trend. The piece that you are wearing is divine and looks spectacular on you, as you pose as a dancer.

    And the cloche is lovely, and should keep you warm as well. Thank you for sharing with Hat Attack.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the publication of your poetry dear Amber, that's brilliant and much deserved!
    Those boots are the business, wonderful colour and you wear the whole glorious wintry outfit beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  18. so absolutely beautiful, all the wonderful leaves let me think you are a beautiful wood fairy! and the green boots are really love!
    kiss,mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are a sweet lady and your look is so lovely!! I love it! Kissssss from Madrid

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great look. I love the shoes .kisses Beata

    ReplyDelete
  21. glad you got these boots finally, they're fabulous and so Green!, and love that leaves print matching your beautiful leaves necklace, so evocative and elegant!
    And you look really cute wearing your hat and mittens!, hope you feel also warm and comfy wearing them!
    besos

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber