Saturday, 9 February 2013

In Circles

This is a super-comfy outfit, perfect for work - whether I'm sitting in meetings, driving a lot, playing on the floor, or getting messy with art supplies. Or scaling Paperwork Mountain, but we won't talk about that, because guess what's on my agenda this weekend? 


black shirt: Reitman's (2002), last worn here
dress: En Focus, Marshall's, last worn here
hematite mermaid necklace: can't recall, mid-90's
boots: Franco Sarto, early 2000s, last worn here




I've had the hematite mermaid necklace for ages, but my earliest recollection of it is during the second summer of my graduate studies. It lately seemed too long so I had the idea to shorten it. Fortunately, I figured out this way to wear it as-is, because, like the Paperwork Range with its endless switchbacks and deadly crevasses, Mending Mountain (and the surrounding Alterations Foothills) is a vast, long-unexplored, dusty-climed territory which is growing yet. 




Sooner or later I'll mount a big expedition, 
which may yield a series of pretty decent outfits. 




The blouse is a comfortable layering standby - a bit baggy to wear on its own, but easy-care, and its substantial collar-and-cuffs are a good outfit element. The dress, just a year old, is reasonably well-constructed and has some neat details, though the fabric won't last super-long - the kind of inexpensive piece that works well for a limited time (and therefore one needn't be over-careful wearing it), but which bumps up against ethical and environmental concerns. 




What has had surprising longevity are my Franco Sarto boots. Over the years, I've had several pairs made of similar stretchy synthetic material, including one other of this same brand, which succumbed to peeling, sole separation, and dramatic elasticity failure. These soldier on, with their substantial-enough-for-stability heels, excellent grippy bit under the whole bottom of the toe box, and exactly-fitting calves - the latter a rare commodity in general and exacerbated by all the pattern-translation issues at size 10+.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend, whether or not yours may involve shovelling snow or paper - or both!


18 comments:

  1. that's a great pattern on that dress and I like the way it is echoed in the circles of that wonderful mermaid necklace! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need that go-to outfit which looks great, feels comfortable, and is easy to wear, and this lovely combination ticks all those boxes, so hurray! I love the boots, the circle print on the dress and the repeating circle motif of the necklace - but tell me, Amber, why is it called a mermaid necklace? Does everyone else know this, apart from me? Pardon my ignorance...
    Anyhow - no shovelling of either snow or paper for me this weekend, and I hope you don't have to do too much of either yourself. Good luck with it, and with the Mending Mountain, if you attempt an ascent. Take some time for fun too! xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curtise! You're right, I forgot to mention - a classmate dubbed it "the mermaid necklace" back in the day when I had ripply waist-length hair (seaweed-like, I suppose).

      The snow wasn't too bad but the paperwork is proving more of a challenge, urgh! xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. The dress and the necklace are really cute :)
    I hope you have a great weekend and good luck on your expeditions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm smiling at Mending Mountain -- I'm in deep denial about it, hoping it will vanish while I think about happier things! This is a wonderful look, and yes, the shapely boots are indeed keeping their shape - so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi butane. can I ask if you ever wear a hat. if you are the spikes in or out? a very nicely out together outfit. lucyxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy! Spikes-in-or-out depends on the hat - scroll down to the bottom here and in the alphabetical "labels" section click "hat" to see posts where I wear hats. Just got a new-to-me vintage one I'm so excited about!

      Delete
  6. This looks quite elegant to me. The boots are rather ladylike and sleek, the dress and blouse are simple yet wonderfully interesting, and the necklace is really beautiful. So the fact that it's comfortable as well is such a bonus.

    Good luck with the paperwork. Hope you can fit in a few treats to break up the tedium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! I need all the luck I can get - I'm still at the crying-and-begging-for-candy stage of paperwork!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous! The best outfit I've seen you wear. So stylish and attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love that dress - it's nice to have a few outfits that you feel, and look, good in, and are practical for whatever the day throws at you. I have a paperwork mountain at work, and a mending and laundry mountain at home; none of which are being scaled ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The necklace is amazing with the printed dress. I've had to stop taking on additional projects, anything that isn't perfect in the thrift store doesn't get purchased - my project pile is sorted into too many bags. Too much to do.

    You can't turn down a pair of boots that fit in the calf... at least I never can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dress looks lovely with necklace! I have the same boots..stylish, yet good for snow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't paper work just the worst? That's what made me quit my office job. I'm educated as an office clerk and used to work at IBM. Everyone thought I was mad, turning my back on all those money! But I've never regretted for a second. I know you have lots of other tasks, and paper work is just (supposed to be) a minor part of your job, but paper work is still what nightmares are made of!

    Your dress is so lovely, and I can imagine it looks great with all sorts of tops underneath. This shirt is certainly a hit with it. I love the large collar, it helps draws attention to the gorgeous necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always gravitate towards anything Franco Sarto--something about the design I am always drawn to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The necklace is truly a piece of art, and love how it falls on your circle pattern. Boots that last for years become loyal friends in my book. And the piles of mending and alterations are a constant in my world as well. A closet yet to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amber, you do know that hematite necklace is the way classier precurser to all those big bubble statement necklaces every fast fashion and trendy style blogger seems to own these days and wear too much on their blogs? Yours is stunning. I'm still bewildered by today's version.

    I've made some faster fashion dresses last forever, simply by washing and hanging up. I'm kind of a Laundry Nazi anyway. And Dryel, oh how I love it! Welcome to OCD!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooo, I like all your circles happening here, Amber. Mending Mountain doesn't bother me, I find mending meditative. And Alteration Range is a creative venture. Paperwork however, is purgatory.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber