Friday, 25 January 2013

I Spy

Eh, I just threw on some black clothes with awesome boots. It was cold and wintry and a day that called for casual-comfortable. More better outfits coming soon! 




Though the days are getting longer, it was already too dark to easily capture the details of one of my favourite sweaters: 




It's about an inch thick, has a slight shawl collar and deep ribbing along the cuffs and hem, and its internal-tie-and-snap wrap fastening is usually flattering. Except of course in today's pictures, when it had come loose and given me a less-flattering-but-dramatically-sculptural super-cool bulgy thingy on my left. 


wool hat: The Snow Lion / Tibet Shop (Toronto, late '80s), last worn here
scarf: Lupita's (Harlingen, TX)
super-thick wool/mohair wrap sweater: Banana Republic ~10 years ago
skirt: Joe Fresh, last worn here
leather gloves: can't recall
thermal tights: Elita
awesome boots: Fluevog Adrian Heidi, last worn here




Such is the downside to being in a hurry to capture the dregs of daylight while simultaneously attempting to not take too many pictures. Ah well. 


top: Love, Winners ~10 years ago

I don't remember how old the vendor estimated the bell part of this necklace to be. I was charmed that this design / construction style of bell has persisted for more than a millenium, and that the function of camel bells is to signal the driver by their absence if part of the convoy has dropped away on a trek. So, togetherness, and this little bell still ringing. 



ancient camel bell necklace: booth which otherwise sold mostly U.S. Civil War artifacts, early '90s

This top, purchased about ten years ago, was one of my earliest deliberate attempts to inject more colour into my wardrobe, so I guess I've been at it for twice as long as I thought. In my case, it's apparently a lengthy process - I suppose the recent shift is buying fewer black items, a factor which had been holding up the works. I find all of this hilarious.




My favourite bit of the top is that it has a little secret, can you see her? 




Regardless of the dreariness of the day, may you too be accompanied by bells and exuberantly dancing women wherever you go!


***EDITED TO ADD: outline of dancer below the jump - now you won't be able to NOT see her. Hee. 






24 comments:

  1. What a very cool necklace! The Fluevog boots are awesome, love those buckles. This is a great look on you. I keep telling myself I should wear less black, but sometimes it just feels SO right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Rack shot there darlin';) I confess to not being able to see the dancing lady, but I am sick with a cold and my perception is kind of fuzzy this week. I love the necklace and the story behind it. Ah black, what would we do without you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Shelley! You must be feeling dreadful to only spot 1/3 of the boobies in the photo (her head, arm, and leg are cobalt, and she is racktastic). Feel better soon!

      Delete
  3. I can see a heart but sadly no dancing lady...Great outfit Amber, what a lovely necklace and those boots are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bit of red on red is the heart of the dancing lady, how lovely to pick it out! She is bright blue and abstracted, her kicking leg is at lower right, and she wears a great red graphic leotard on her curvy celebratory self. :)

      Delete
  4. Ummm... is that her, with the sturdy bum and thighs and big boob, kicking up her heel? Or am I looking at it completely wrong? Wouldn't be the first time... And I am a little distracted by the close-up of your lovely bosom, my dear!
    They are indeed awesome boots, the camel bell is a lovely little piece, and black/all black/some black/any black is just FINE, Amber, since you wear it with your customary panache and style!
    Stay warm, ring the bell if you need anything. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's her, you see her too!
      Likewise, dear Curtise, xo

      Delete
  5. Hot damn, those are some faboo boots! I like the top, too, with blobby colors, but I cannot see the dancing lady either. I do perceive colors that are amazingly similar to salmon and pink - and yet, there you are, wearing it! It looks very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the not-my-colour bits, lol! The dancing lady made me do it. :)

      Delete
  6. This is anything but boring!! I love everything about this outfit. Firstly that reddish scarf just lightens you right up! I think scarves are magic. ;)
    You always rock those rugged boots so well too. I bet you're dancing in them right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better outfits? Than anything you wear? Never!

    Um, what FCF said? lol

    When I slid over into used clothes blogging, I went a little crazy with color. But I really like black.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your shoe and boot collection are fabulous!!! also really like your necklace - ah the whole black thing - I finally stopped trying to add color - it felt like I was going against my natural choice and it took the fun out of shopping for me so now I don't think color, I just think, how much do I love this garment - stay warm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome outfit and oh those boots are the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. aiaiai gorgeous boots!
    Beautiful top.

    XO Arezu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful boots. I am having the hardest time finding black boots that I love. I have a pair coming and hopefully they'll be the ones, but who knows?

    Have a great weekend, Amber!

    Gracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck for excellent black boots, Gracey!!! Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  12. I can see what looks like a leg, but that's about it!
    Amber, these boots giveth me the HORN! They are about perfect!
    I love, love the bell, it's just beautiful and begs to be fondled.
    The top is the perfect way to add a shock of colour to your outfit. I love the porprtions to this outfit, and that sweater is just lovely. I'm feeling inspired for Winter, but it can take it's time coming, thanks!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, yes, to the fab camel bell! I love special pieces like this. Great black boots too, I never get tired of my black boots, I could wear them to bed : >

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's nothing like a good pair of black boots- they look like they'd be awesome for stomping around in the snow

    ReplyDelete
  15. A bit of booty on the top never goes astray:). The boots are gorgeous with the extra flap and buckle detail at the top, beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. The boots are fantastic, reminds me of the three musketeers. The camel bell is incredible, it looks very old. Does it have a sound too? About the dancer - I thought I saw a blue whale in the lower right, and it turned out to be her leg!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much to love about this outfit! The boots, the hat, the camel bell, and the colorful dancing women. Each piece tells its own story and adds to the greater whole.

    I too am into more color these days, but I will never quit black. It's an old friend and a new friend, always welcome, never a bore.

    ReplyDelete
  18. KILLER boots Amber!! The camel bell necklace is so cool!!
    I love your whole outfit but for the life of me i can't see anything but color splotches in your top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tamera! I added a cropped shot of my secret lady friend below the jump because I want everyone to see her and know how awesome she is!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber