Monday, 17 December 2012

Horse With No Name

Thank you to everyone who weighed in on my last post - I love how your comments broaden our conversations. Y'all are so smart and thoughtful! 




And guess what, you guys - I learned a scarf tie. Though my "How To" bookmark list is crammed with scarf-tying tutorials languishing and gathering dust, this video for the Four Corners Cowboy Knot (h/t Sal) is sufficiently adorable and hilarious that I could watch the requisite million times it took to get it done. 




This knot worked especially well for my triangular beaded scarf, which can be draped any number of effective ways - but in the past, try as I might to arrange it with only the soft bits contacting skin, I found the beads to be a quick road to Scratchy City. Of course I've already forgotten how to tie it, but it stayed put over a very long day and the beading was much less of an issue, yay! 


beaded burnout velvet scarf: Lupita's (Harlingen, TX)
buttonflowers: Megan Mae Designs
"I love it when Mr. Cicada says REEEEEE" pin: beanforest, etsy




Okay, it wasn't hot enough for cicadas, but bare knees in December? Perhaps a lingering numbness below the waist is a remnant of Catholic-school-uniform winter survival. Kind of the point, isn't it. In any case, this was a gorgeously sunny and mild jewel of a day. 


green-eyed flat cat socks: Zellers (7-8 years old)


Trying to self-portrait the backs of your legs is humorously awkward - 
I highly recommend it.  


cape: Utex Design, Winners (turn of the century)
denim shirt dress: Bluenotes, thrifted
skirt: Joe Fresh, last worn here with same boots
fabulous cowboy boots: Brown's I.D, Holt Renfrew (2005), legend here




Like my awesome bell-sleeved turquoise coat, this cape is retrieved from Mending Mountain and something I always promise-promise-promise myself to fix before wearing again. It needs reinforcing at the button, and I will give you three guesses as to where it is right this minute. 


excellent for twirling, dashing, and crusading

I remember lending it to my grandma - she was freezing, but stubbornly refused a blanket as beneath her dignity. I personally have no such reservations (as documented in the blanket-head picture of me at the park during wedding photos), but her glad acceptance of my cape that day remains a warm spot right here. 




Sunshine or no, I hope you're keeping warm too - by whatever means necessary, because it might as well be fun. See you over at Patti's Not Dead Yet Style for Visible Monday!


24 comments:

  1. Amber, what a stunning scarf!! I haven't yet worked up the gumption to try that knot. You have me thinking I need an obi belt now. And oh, I remember having to go to school in dresses are bare legs in wintertime...brrr! Some young women don't believe me when I tell them we weren't allowed to wear pants to school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely always, dear AMBER
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *love* a new scarf-tying-trick, and this one is so cool, Amber. Thanks for sharing it, and your fab self, with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you've tied the scarf! And of course, the rest of the outfit is so you. Good to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this outfit!! i think the cape is really cool!!
    I've got to check out that way to tie a scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scarf-tying is a triumph, Amber! It's a great shame that I am so lazy; anything with the word "tutorial" attached to it makes me want to claim that I am poorly because I haven't done my assignment or the required reading... (I know, time to STOP with the university anxiety dreams, it's been 30 years!)
    Anyway, back to you, and your fabulous Caped Crusader outfit! You do work black and grey SO well, you always make things interesting with unusual shapes and different textures and of course those kickass boots! I like your fond memory of your grandma accepting the cape for warmth, how lovely. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always look so perfectly put together, but I do love your new scarf tie. And oh the cat socks! Awesomes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your cape, it looks like you could send signals with it somehow. Everything looks just perfect together as only you can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing and thoughtful, right down to the back of your calves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous scarf! I never manage to get mine tied the same way twice. I usually reduce myself to just slinging it around my neck. Your cape is what I'd call a fancy blanket. A piece you wear when you need to look chic, but feel like you're wrapped up in bed. I love the pieced fabric and gorgeous drape! And of course, the buttonflowers~!

    I also got away with wearing knee high socks today. It was quite warm aside from the hail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another inspiring look. Amazing as always, and I love the button/pin detail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wear bare legs most of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are so many elements to like in your outfit, least of which is the charming velvet scarf wrapped around cowboy style. I love that cape- what a beaute! I say take a few minutes and mend the thing, would ya? Ha ha, I have a mending pile so large and old- some items I outgrew or forgot I owned! The socks is the tipping point of great into awesome. Happy Monday beautiful Butane!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great scarf-tying. I'm still working on that skill.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought, wow, Amber looks great! And then I scrolled down and saw your cape and thought, Wow, even greater! Fantastic. All the folds and points and layers and textures... The photo of the back of your legs is inspiring. Congratulations on your scarf-tie. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how you've tied the scarf! So cool. And the rest of your outfit is awesome. ;) It is probably a good thing I don't own a cool cape thingy like that. I might never come out from under it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahh Amber, it is always an adventure and pleasure to land on your space in the blogging world. You did a spectacular job of scarf tying, which can be my nemesis. Learn it one minute and forget it the next. I love how your interesting socks peek above killer boots; every detail speaks a thousand words. And the cape - as you state, made for crusading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What's not to love about any of these pieces?!! And all together?!! Delicious. I will have to investigate the scarf tying technique, especially since it's a triangular scarf. That's not in my repertoire. Megan's button flowers are a glorious touch. I'll be showing mine off in an up-coming post.. I love them.

    Have a wonderful week. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  19. Admirable scarf-tying skills - perhaps I'll pop over and look at that tutorial! I have no words to describe the ultimate fabulousness of that cape. If you ever fall out of love with it, and it needs to start a new relationship, please let it be with me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your socks are so much fun! Loving the cape as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh how I remember having to wear skirts and having cold, cold legs. In Junior High school they made us wait outside until it was a few minutes before school started. It was a cold wait at times depending on when the bus dropped us off. I think nowadays it would be considered cruel to make the kids wait outside.
    You look so fab and the cowboy knot is a really cool one. I forget about it because it is a bit hard to tie. It does look great though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the slouchiness of the cape! It looks so comfortable and warm!
    AS for the scarf tying technique, it's so good I'm afraid I will need to try it myself! When I have a spare moment, that is, as it seems fairly complicated!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really like your look (a lot of attitude) and I really NEED yoour beuatiful coat. I need it every day actully.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ewwww, Amber! I love this! Love your blacks and grays and denims always anyway! Sorry to be so very slow to get over here and wish you Happy Holidays (hope they were) and a very Happy New Year! I am WAAAAAY behind in my blog visiting. Drastically behind!! LOL. Life's just been busy here. The IRL stuff! ~:-D xoxo Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!
- Amber